Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

One year in

One year. So many moments and memories swirl through my head today as I look back on my timeline as a Peace Corps volunteer. Hopping off the plane at 11:30 PM after 16 hours of flying surrounded by 69 "strangers" I'd barely gotten to know. Two physically and mentally exhausting weeks spent at Initial Orientation in Cavite. Two and a half months of intensive training (language, culture, and technical) in the Bataan province. Swearing in as volunteers at the US Embassy. A 12 hour night bus ride to an unfamiliar landscape that I would call home for the next two years. Time and trips spent with new friends. An ever-changing work environment that leaves me speculating what my role will be for the next 15 months.

Within uncertainty lies the opportunity for growth. 

Reflection can be an extremely powerful and effective tool. Where has the past year gone? Where am I headed?  How have I grown mentally, emotionally, spiritually, socially? Do I like these changes?

I am a person whose mind over thinks and analyzes every situation, sometimes to a fault. All in all, I only need to ask myself one question: am I happy?

The answer to that is an overwhelming yes.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing reflection and expression of your thoughts and feelings, honey! Your journey continues...it helps me to know you are happy...my heart is very grateful. May God continue to bring blessings into your life as you continue to make a difference in those whose lives you touch. Never doubt how He is using you every day....

    ReplyDelete