Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The road ahead

I've been quite reflective these past few weeks as I begin to plan ahead a bit and realistically think about my future post-Peace Corps, and I have begun to reflect back on how I got to this point in the first place. Of course, circumstances and situations have arisen that have given me certain direction (i.e. the email my mother sent me back in the Fall of 2010 which prompted me to research Peace Corps). But digging a bit deeper, it seems to be our innate qualities that cause us to behave in a particular manner, i.e. choose a salad over that ever-tempting cheesecake, or direct us whether or not to pack that umbrella on the slight chance that the cloudy day turns rainy. These qualities help us make decisions, which in turn shape our path in life. How we move forward. And how we utilize our past and present to mold our future.

ANONYMOUS: So why are you thinking about the future when there is so much going on in the present? You're always talking about staying in and embracing the moment, Andrew. Have you given up on your philosophy?
ME: Quite the opposite. I am firmly entrenched where I am right now. But there will always be situations lying ahead that, if unaddressed, will add more stress and chaos to our lives. My reflective state has given me the chance to see things come full circle. Knowing that time is finite, I'm trying to strike a balance and allocate my time in ways that provide me happiness now and put me in a better position to be content down the line. That and a few other reasons:
  1. "Senioritis" - 3-4 months left in my Peace Corps service. Summer in the Philippines (cue brownouts and the monotony/boredom that accompany them). And projects winding down (ironically, I'm busier than ever between the Save the Rivers, Save the Sea Program, an online grad school class, and multiple side projects).
  2. "The Planner" - Despite my heavy procrastination skills, I'm always planning ahead. This allows me to prepare for the unexpected, which usually occurs a few months down the line (waiting for it...).
  3. "Within uncertainty lies a degree of certainty" - I feel like someone has said that before, hence the quotes. Although I'm not entirely sure where my life is headed, I know that come January 2015, I will be moving back to Charleston to finish my Master's.
I have always tried to take the "road less travelled" approach (hence the title of this blog) ever since my father walked his "Camino" 13 years ago. From Rochester to Scranton. Scranton to Charleston. Charleston to Tabaco City. What lies ahead remains a mystery post-Grad School. The fact that there is uncertainty ahead keeps things interesting ;)

On an unrelated note, please check out the following link for a project I have coming up with other PCVs this August - Camp BRO: https://fundly.com/leadership-camp-for-young-men-in-the-philippines

2 comments:

  1. You have an incredible gift with words, expressing yourself, sharing your thoughts...some, beyond your years! I have learned so much about you and from you! : ) My thoughts and prayers are with you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew! this is ann...the lady you've met in a jeepney going to tabaco and then in Bombon last year.am not sure if you'll remember.i think that was march.i came across your blogspot as i was searching on the web related to our blood letting activity You have gone through a lot,huh?...i have read some of your blogs and it strikes me as i have experienced that too. you know working with people really is difficult but the lessons learned from them is valuable. that is what humanitarian workers do. we never asks something in return, but just to see that we have created a positive impact to the community....just hang on till you finish your volunteer work...and good luck on your next steps.

    ReplyDelete