Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Freedom

It has been a pleasure being able to put my thoughts to keyboard and sharing them with you, my readers, these past 27 months. I struggled with journaling in the past, never really seeing the point. But through journaling and blogging throughout my Peace Corps tenure, I have found a new way of expressing myself, releasing stress, and sharing my vantage point with the world.

I've spent the past few minutes rereading through some of my old posts (making sure I don't restate previous thoughts :), prompting further reflection of my PC experience. I have loved this "era" of my life because it has allowed me to do something different. To be someone different. I never thought of myself as crazy or mad before, but that is essentially an unwritten requirement for Peace Corps. Being comfortable with yourself to take the "road less traveled," and defy conventional wisdom.

So thank you for reading these words. I would love to believe that I have led to a new understanding and appreciation of Filipino culture, Peace Corps, or life in general through my writings. That is, after all, one of the Peace Corps goals: to promote a better understanding of Filipinos on the part of Americans. But I like to think that I have awakened a new part of myself, a sense of freedom... of expression... emotion... free to explore life. My road isn't ending...only continuing. See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Your words of expression have allowed us to walk this journey with you, Andrew and definitely, as you hoped, given us a better appreciation for your fellow Filipinos and the Peace Corps. But, along the way, through your journaling and our long conversations I have also learned more about you and, myself! Your words have often left me thinking a little deeper or looking at something from a different perspective. I have commented to others about it often over these last 2+ years....and, I am grateful! So, as your journey continues we are anxious to welcome you home and support you as you move onto another path!

    ReplyDelete