Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

"Tabaco Road"

Well...last I left off I had just been assigned my permanent site, Tabaco City, Albay. Fast forward two weeks and I am now sitting in my new kwarto (bedroom) at my new host family's bahay (house) in Tabaco City.  But hold on...I won't jump the gun and wrap up a crazy two weeks with just a few sentences.  With "black bear" (as I have been dubbed by my fellow "man cavers"...more than fitting for me, wouldn't you say Aunt Patti and Uncle Butch?) its always a story.

So let me first cap off my time in Sabang. We finally opened our park on Tuesday September 11. What a thrill! It was so rewarding having what seemed like hundreds of kids thoroughly enjoying themselves on our hard work over the previous week. We even got the kids involved by having them paint their hands on our mural. If you haven't watched it yet, check out this video my fellow CRMer Zac made documenting our work through training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloU0w1at1o&feature=g-user-u. As promised earlier, some pictures of our finished product...

Before...

...and after

Murals designed by our group artist, Ms. Rachel Figgs

Leaving a lasting impression on Sabang

Though we were so proud to have finally finished our community project, our LPI, or language placement interview, was the following morning so there was no time for rest  I'll cut to the conclusion of this one...I got an intermediate high mark in Tagalog, thereby passing my LPI! Having essentially finished training after the LPI, our wrap-up beach bonfire was next. Great getting to talk to our whole group about our likes and dislikes over the past 10 weeks. Our handog sa host pamilya was our last activity before leaving Sabang. All of the host families came out and enjoyed games and food for a few hours. Laughs were shared and pictures were taken. It was tough saying goodbye to families that take you under their wings for 10 weeks. We truly appreciated all they did to help us transition into the Philippine lifestyle. I hope to visit Sabang again before my service is over. Sadly, two of the CRMers weren't able to attend these last few festivities because they had come down with dengue (YES that's 4 CRMers with dengue during training...7 total in 271). This story has a happy ending though...

...they made it back for swearing-in! We arrived in Manila Sunday morning and were treated to a tour of Intramuros, the "walled city" of Manila. Very interesting tour that I would recommend especially to history buffs. We were given a bunch of training wrap-up talks and volunteer introductions leading up to swearing-in on Wednesday at the U.S. Embassy. The night before, a bunch of us went out to the mall to buy barongs, an embroidered Philippine dress shirt (very mahal, or expensive). The price was worth at as we all kept it classy for the ceremony. Afterwards, we hit up a bar called the Hobbit House, which was owned by a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) and staffed by midgets. Truly a sight! The swearing-in ceremony itself was held in the grand ballroom in the U.S. Embassy. We were greeted by the U.S. Ambassador who sadly told us that President Obama would not be in attendance today (saw that one coming..but it was worth a shot). For those of you who have not seen the Youtube video, check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iMLKqzWH5o&feature=g-user-u. I can personally say that hearing my name called and later taking the oath to swear in as a Peace Corps Philippines Volunteer was one of the proudest moments of my life. I was overcome with pride in my country, excitement for my future steps, and accomplishment in what I, and my fellow volunteers, have done over the past 2 1/2 months. I also had a lot of adrenaline running through me as our CRM group was about to perform our skit (hopefully this too will be up on Youtube soon). Blew the roof off the Embassy with a little Mambo Number 5 mashup. Upon returning to the hotel after a brief reception, there was rioting occurring down the street due to recent religious outbreaks. Everyone was fine, but we did have to remain in the hotel for a bit. Didn't stop us from going out later that night tho! Our TCFs and LCFs had planned a club night after swearing-in, despite some people having to be up in the wee hours of the morning to leave for their permanent site. Fantastic last night together with some great people!

O.K...I finally made it back here. My "Tabaco Road." Since bus was my means of travel to Tabaco, I didn't leave until almost 8 pm Thursday night. Quick side story...while waiting for the bus to leave Manila, a few of us saw a fully nude child defecate on the sidewalk ride outside, no wipe, leave it there,  and then proceeded to approach (still naked) customers leaving the convenience store and ask for money. The things you see in Manila... Anyways, it was an overnight trip to Bicol, but at least I had other volunteers placed in Bicol along for the ride. I met my supervisor Arsenio in Legazpi City Bus Station around 7:30 Friday morning. He shuttled me straight to the office where I met my counterpart Markson along with other City Agriculture Office employees. I was then led to my new host family's house only a few blocks away. Following introductions and a brief meal, I had to hit the hay for a few hours before returning to work. My co workers gave me a brief tour of the city, including the shopping mall, John the Baptist Church, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) office, and the pier. Having been here 4 days now, I find Tabaco to be a great fit for me! A small but big city with just enough to keep you entertained but not enough to overwhelm you. It has a small mall and a Jollibee (a Philippine McDonald's). All eyes are on me now since I am the only American in the city, not to mention my height! The nearby Mayon volcano provides a scenic backdrop to this port city. Can't wait to check out the island part of the municipality which looks out on the endless abyss called the Pacific Ocean. My new host family has 5 kids ages 7-15. The kids speak the best English in the house :) It is a two-story apartment with a large veranda (I actually found an unfinished third floor yesterday offering even better volcano vantage points). My room is smaller but I do have a double bed, and there is a working shower across the hall (no people..that does not mean its hot). Despite the language barrier, my family has been more than generous and the food so far, thanks to my kuya, has been AMAZING!

Today marked my first full day at work and I was a bit overwhelmed at first because I was immediately thrown into the lion's den with projects. My anxieties have been relieved for the time being after speaking with Markson and understanding our project goals and outcomes. A little prying for information here can turn everything around! All in all, I am stoked about our potential projects for the next two years as they directly relate to my interests. I was also introduced to the Mayor and Vice Mayor of Tabaco today, and have already been invited to dinner at the Vice Mayor's house next week.

It's extremely encouraging to have so much support from the locals, after only 4 days of living here! My kuya's cousin told me the other night, "we are so proud to have you as our guest in Tabaco and know that you will help our people." The hospitality and humility that these people share is truly remarkable!

Hanggang sa susunod na beses!

You stay classy. Planet Earth.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us folks at CofC!

    ReplyDelete