Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The wait is over

Since the start of my application process, I’ve been awaiting the day when I would know my permanent site for my 2 years of service. Last Sunday, August 26 marked the beginning of supervisor’s conference and at last, the wait was over…I am happy to say that I will be heading to TABACO CITY in the province of ALBAY in the Bicol region of the Philippines! Tabaco City is a 3rd class municipality with a population of 125,000. It is located on the eastern edge of the Philippines overlooking the Pacific Ocean and is home to one of the top ranked coral reefs in the Philippines and nearby Mount Mayon (known as the "perfect cone" because of its symmetrical shape). Whale sharks are also close by and are a common attraction in the Bicol region! My supervisor, Arsenio Onrubia, is Tabaco City’s Chief Agriculturalist. As of right now, I will be working with him and my counterpart Markson in the Fisheries Department of the Municipal Agricultural Office (MAO). Can’t wait to get down there September 20th…just hope dengue isn’t a problem in Tabaco!

Me with my supervisor Arsenio

I’ll back up a second…three weeks ago, I was diagnosed with dengue fever (I’ll let you do the googling of it). Basically, it’s a mosquito-borne disease that results in a high fever, rashes, etc.  Luckily, I didn’t get the brunt of the disease but was still taken to the hospital in Manila to be monitored. After 5 frustrating days (primarily because I was confined to my room), I was good to go but stayed in Manila for the night. I’ve never seen such a sprawling urban metropolis, even compared to NYC. Anyways, let’s just say that being sick cooped up in a hospital by yourself on the other side of the world makes you appreciate the luxuries you have back home and the sheer happiness of feeling healthy again! 

I’m jumping around a bit. Fast forwarding to the end of supervisor’s conference last week, I was finally able to snorkel! The CRMers took a field trip down to Mabini, Batangas, near the Verde Island Passage, home to some of the best biodiversity in the world. I’ve never had the opportunity to REALLY snorkel before and I hit the jackpot on my first go! I’ve never seen so many fish in my life (Nemo’s and Gil’s all over) and the various corals were amazing! Getting SCUBA certified and purchasing an underwater camera are musts while I’m here. After heading back to Quezon City for the night, we visited an urban poor/alternative livelihood site the next day. Just when I thought the week couldn’t get better, it did. Brief recap: Buklot Tao (united people; the alternative livelihood organization) has community members collect used juice boxes which they use to make various bags for sale; and they provide garbage cans to families which they collect every few days and turn the collected waste into compost which in turn is used to harvest their own crops (they also are getting involved with rainwater catchment systems for their crops). A truly remarkable organization that is also promoting climate change relief and natural disaster awareness to those most affected within their community (predominantly squatters along the river).

Twin Rocks at Mabini, Batangas

Organic gardens at Buklot Tao

An urban poor settlement in San Mateo, just north or Manila. 
In 2009, a typhoon struck the area which caused water to rise above this bridge (over 30 feet high!)

About 10 days left here in Sabang…can’t believe how quickly the time flew! Right now, we’re in the thick of things with our community youth park. The grand opening is scheduled for next Tuesday.  Thanks to the help of the community and a nearby resort, many of our materials were donated along with labor. It’s been stressful trying to build a park in a week, but things seem to be coming together. I’ll try and post some before and after pictures with my next post! We also have our youth camp this Saturday, our language proficiency interview (LPI) next Thursday and Friday, and then our handog ng host pamilya (AKA our host family goodbye party) next Saturday before leaving for swearing-in on the 16th. So much to do in so little time…the work and parties are endless!

Hanggang mamaya!

No comments:

Post a Comment